Working closely with and under the guidance of the Manager, Communications and Visibility, the Communications and Visibility Officer contributes substantively to the development and implementation the RESEMBID Communications and Visibility strategy and workplan. Foremost, the incumbent provides strategically aligned, expert support to Programme Management in communications and visibility.
Specifically, the Communications and Visibility Officer’s primary focus will be on creating and developing digital content across all RESEMBID social media platforms, dedicated products such as the mobile application as well as content for traditional media platforms.
This is an opportunity for a creative, action-orientated Communications professional who is ready to make a mark by putting this major development programme on the map, regionally and internationally. As much a doer as a driver, the successful candidate will be a self-starter who is excited by the opportunity to join a high-calibre team that is deeply engaged and passionate about making a difference in sustainable human development.
The incumbent, informed by a substantive understanding of the strategic direction and priorities of the Programme portfolio, of its operational context for implementation, and of partner relations – especially the OCTs – has the following key responsibilities:
- Co-leads the development and implementation of the Programme’s communications and visibility strategy and workplan, focussed specifically on communicating the objectives, results and human-interest stories emanating from projects on the ground,
- Co-manages the senior team of consultants backstopping the execution of the flagship 12-country, 45-project ROVIP (RESEMBID OCT Communications and Visibility Programme)
- Collaborates with the RESEMBID team to develop a schedule of content for RESEMBID’s social media platforms and mobile application
- Ensures, through staff briefings, an understanding of the purpose of each project on the ground, visualising the communication opportunities they offer that will communicate powerfully the impact – human, environmental and economic – of RESEMBID projects.
- Develops and maintains updated content for the website
- Drives the development, with the backstopping of audio-visual and graphic advisers, of compelling, edgy material that projects powerfully the work of the Programme for RESEMBID’s social media, website and other platforms
- Develops and personally cultivates a strategically targeted network of media outlets, with a view to building a RESEMBID-aware community
- Fosters a “receptive space” for RESEMBID, including through interviews and events organised around RESEMBID, Expertise France and European Union leadership. To this end, orchestrates key contacts, organises media coverage, briefings, interviews
- Drives all press and social media activities, ensuring strategically aligned messaging with relevant actors (news wire service, public relation firms, graphic designer)
- Proactively identifies opportunities for increased local, regional and international media coverage of the Programme
- Drafts or edits press releases
- Monitors, records and collates local, regional, and international media for Programme-related coverage, overseeing consistency of message
- As a key member of the Programme’s Communications Steering Committee co-leads the strategic direction of Programme Communications, contributing to decision-making and tracking action decisions
- Develops database of influencers and prominent figures, particularly from the Caribbean, to enlist their support as advocates and multipliers
- Develops and maintains contemporary database of high-resolution images for all three priority areas of focus and distinctive OCT landmarks
- Develops and manages the Programme’s press kit and external visibility tools
- Actively monitors and enforces compliance of all media and public relations products and activities with the Visibility Guidelines of the European Union,
The incumbent may be called upon to discharge other duties, in line with her/his role in Communications, in line with the evolving operational needs of the Programme.
Project or context description
The Caribbean OCTs Resilience, Sustainable Energy and Marine Biodiversity Programme (RESEMBID) is a €40M programme financed by the European Union and implemented by Expertise France, the development cooperation agency of France.
RESEMBID supports the sustainable human development efforts of the Caribbean OCTs through three highly strategic lines of action:
• Marine Biodiversity: improving protection, restoration and management of marine biodiversity;
• Resilience: strengthening resilience to adapt to extreme and recurrent natural events (cross-cutting component)
• Sustainable Energy: increasing energy efficiency of infrastructures with high impact on energy consumption;
The twelve Caribbean OCTs are:
• Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
• Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands
The Programme is implemented throughout the twelve OCTs and is based on Sint Maarten. It is backstopped by Expertise France Headquarters at Paris, France.
Great emphasis is given to a participatory approach in the design of the programme and its management, involving from the outset all relevant stakeholders (beneficiaries, civil society, private sector, funding institutions, among others).
The RESEMBID team implements the different workstreams of the Programme: governance; Programme coordination and implementation oversight; Programme formulation, design and implementation; grant and procurement management; financial and administrative management, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning; strategic communications and visibility. The team is complemented by senior sectoral technical consultants who are standing members of the team and are deployed as needed.
Minimum eligibility criteria
- Post graduate degree in communications and media, political science, public information, international relations or a related field
- Minimum 7 years relevant work experience working in development communications or closely related field of work
- Advanced professional communications and media skills, with demonstrable strategic know-how for leading and implementing communications initiatives
- Experience in developing messaging, press-releases, talking points that are strategically aligned with the audience and the objectives of the Programme
- Relevant experience in technical cooperation ODA programmes such as as RESEMBID
- Excellent, nuanced command of spoken and written English essential; French an asset.
- Passionate, committed to human sustainable development
- Comfortable and capable in the diplomatic sphere/government relations
- Intuitive, emotionally intelligent, proactive
- Excellent sense of humour, flexible, tolerant
- Results orientated, with and excellent ability to implement, “to make it happen” informed by an understanding of strategic aims
- Strong writing skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, multicultural team and environment
- Energised by the complexity of a multi-dimensional, multi-site programme
- Resourceful, comfortable taking initiative
- Able to work independently but with a strong sense of team belonging
- Duty station : based in applicant home country with duty travel to Sint Maarten and the region as required
- Starting date: immediate
- Remuneration: commensurate with competencies and depth of experience
Selection criteria for applications
The selection process for candidates will be based on the following criteria :
- Candidate’s training/skills/experience
- Candidate’s knowledges related to local context (country or region intervention)
- Candidate’s understanding of cooperation project stakes
Deadline for application : 15/08/2022 14:40