Country of assignment: Remote and Sint Maarten
The Caribbean OCTs Resilience, Sustainable Energy and Marine Biodiversity Programme (RESEMBID) is a €40M programme financed by the European Union and implemented by Expertise France, the development cooperation agency of France.
The overall objective of the Programme is to support the sustainable human development efforts of the Caribbean OCTs. Strategic objectives are focussed on three areas:
• Sustainable Energy: to increase energy efficiency of infrastructures with high impact on energy consumption.
• Marine biodiversity: to improve protection, restoration and management of marine biodiversity.
• Resilience: to strengthen resilience to adapt to extreme and recurrent natural events (cross-cutting component).
Furthermore, in April 2020 the Programme launched a €10M COVID-19 Resilience Response Facility, a fast-track, quick-response mechanism to support the OCTs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 12 Caribbean OCTs are:
Anguilla, Aruba, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Saba, Saint-Barthélemy, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten, Turks and Caicos Islands.
The Programme is implemented throughout the twelve OCTs and is based on Sint Maarten. It is backstopped by Expertise France Headquarters at Paris, France.
Great emphasis is given to a participatory approach in the design of the programme and its management, involving from the outset all relevant stakeholders (beneficiaries, civil society, private sector, funding institutions, among others).
The RESEMBID on Sint Maarten attends to the different workstreams of the Programme: programme management (formulation, design, implementation, grant and procurement management); programme coordination and implementation oversight; communications and visibility; monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning; finance and operations management; governance. The team is complemented by senior sectoral technical experts who are standing members of the team.
The Communications Expert contributes substantively to the development and implementation of the RESEMBID Communications and Visibility strategy and workplan. Working closely with the Communications Steering Group, chaired by the Programme Director, s/he will have the key responsibilities signified below.
In the first instance, priority will be accorded to the following Tier-1 performance areas and outputs. Whilst Tier-2 outputs are core delivery areas and high priority, Tier-1 are urgent:
• Identify the optimal ways and means for utilising the services of communications consultancy firm(s)/contractors in support of the implementation of RESEMBID’s communications workplan.
• Develops long and short lists of optimal firm(s) for review and final selection
• Manages the relationship with the consultancy firm(s)/contractors retained, ensuring effective performance
• Manages relationship with contractor to ensure timely and satisfactory development of RESEMBID’s mobile application
• Works closely with RESEMBID team to ensure timely and satisfactory internal and stakeholder-facing roll-out of RESEMBID’s mobile application
• and roll- out of
• Develops a strategically targeted, segmented and prioritised mapping of communications and visibility target audiences from amongst stakeholders
• Develops and personally cultivates a strategically targeted network of media outlets, with a view to building a RESEMBID-sensitised community.
• Co-leads the development, implementation and ongoing refinement and updating of the institutional communications and visibility strategy and workplan.
• Leads the development of a self-financed programme portfolio communications and visibility strategy and workplan, focussed specifically on communicating the objectives, activities, results and human-interest stories emanating from projects on the ground
• Coordinates all press and social media activities, including press releases, in conjunction with the relevant contractors (news wire service, public relation firm, graphic designer).
• Working closely with the RESEMBID team, crafts key strategic messages for all media and public relations products and activities.
• Ensures compliance of all media and public relations products and activities with the visibility guidelines of the European Union.
• Proactively identifies opportunities for increased local, regional and international media coverage of the Programme.
• Manages the Programme’s press kit
• Monitors local, regional, and international media for Programme-related coverage, ensuring consistency of message.
• Creates demand for and arranges and media interviews and productions for RESEMBID staff.
• Working closely with Manager, Communications and Visibility, manages Programme visibility on social media platforms
The above list is indicative. Responsibilities and/or prioritisation are dynamic and may evolve and be reshuffled, in accordance with the changing needs of the Programme and the Communications and Visibility portfolio.
A mid-career/senior professional with a minimum of 7 years of consistently responsible experience in Media Management, Media & Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing Communications.
• Advanced university degree with at least 7 years of experience in Media Management, Media & Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing Communications.
• A highly motivated, dynamic professional with strong initiative
• A practical doer who acts and delivers quickly and effectively, but is informed by a strategic understanding of direction and the big picture
• Emotionally intelligent, congenial, a natural team player with a good sense of humour
• An organised manager who delivers effectively and on time in a complex, multi-partner, multi-location environment
• A relationship builder who is sensitive to the nuances of diplomatic relations, language and approaches, who values not only the “what” but also the importance of the “how”
• Advanced proficiency in preparing copy for social media
• Excellent written and spoken command of English; French desirable
Download TOR here – Communications Expert (Consultant) PDF